Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Livingston Mall





I too went to the Livingston Mall this weekend, however when I went it was really busy. There were tons of people in the food court, and many groups of teenagers wandering around the mall. I also saw some kids who were doing a mall scavenger hunt, which was kinda strange.

I did a little bit of research on the mall's history and found out that it was originally planned for building in the late 1960's and opening was planned for 1971. The mall started with the opening of Bamberger's, a large department store and then in 1972 anchor stores such as Sears, Hahne and Company, and M. Epstein were added. The mall was very close to Newark, which was once considered one of the premiere shopping areas in New Jersey, however that reputation declined after the riots of July 1967. Bamberger's department store and M. Epstein were later converted to Macy's and Lord and Taylor respectively. Today, Sears is the only remaining original anchor store in the Livingston Mall. In my last photo you can see the mall floor plan, and it shows all of the present day anchor stores. The Livingston mall now appeals more to the middle class. This is because The Mall at Short Hills is such a short distance away.

When I went to the mall this weekend I kept thinking about when we talked about the different uses for the mall. I noticed that I went to the mall because I had nothing better to do, and I needed some food (also went so I could complete this assignment). But as I was wandering around in and out of stores, I noticed that some people came to the mall for birthday parties, food, or because they actually had to make a trip to the mall to go shopping for new clothes. I also noticed that the mall was really busy, probably because of the time that I went. I went at around 2pm on a Saturday, which I am guessing is one of the most popular times to visit the mall. Usually I go later in the evening or I go on Sunday, so there are never any crowds. I also took note of where the sources of food were. I noticed that there was a wide selection of food in the food court, but also noticed that there were stands separate from the food court that sold mostly deserts or snacks. Most of the food that could make a meal was located in the food court (this also reminded me of the food court argument that we saw during Mallrats).

3 comments:

  1. This is very interesting, due to the fact we just learned about the 1967 Newark Riots. I never thought how much of an impact the riots had outside of Newark until this blog post, and how the Livingston Mall became the "middle class" mall due to the Newark riots and the Short Hills Mall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This mall definitely attracts a different audience then the Short Hills Mall does. The Livingston Mall still has a great variety of stores, ranging from the anchor stores like Lord & Taylor, to Yankee Candle, to Steve Madden, to Build a Bear. The Livingston mall is a place to go when you need a cute gift, or even a funny one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The food court is a familiar place for me. My friends and I go there all the time even without shopping. I have shopped for everything there because of its convenience, low prices, and quality goods. I have boughten gifts for other people there and I will always remain loyal to this mall. The short hills mall does not compare.

    ReplyDelete