Monday, April 30, 2012

The Mall at Short Hills







The Mall at Short Hills opened in 1980, but since then it has grown to become one of the most famous malls in the Country. I was once in California and somebody asked me where I was from. I answered "Short Hills." They new exactly where it was because of the mall. 


Last week I went to the Short Hills Mall to buy a new pair or sneakers at the Foot Locker. While I was there I decided to take pictures for the blog since we recently talked about New Jersey Malls in class. I am so used to going to the Livingston Mall that I almost forgot how nice the Short Hills Mall is. In class we talked about how malls discriminate. I have never seen more evidence of discrimination than during my recent trip to the Short Hills Mall. When I was there, probably 90% of the shoppers were caucasian men and women, dressed in nice clothes, and above the age of 30. I was getting strange looks because I am a kid and I was dressed is gym shorts and a teeshirt. 

The first photo is taken from the second floor just above some of my favorite restaurants. Since the Short Hills Mall is for the upper class, the restaurants have to be on the nicer side. I love the food court at the Livingston Mall, but it would just not fit in well in the Short Hills Mall. Both Joe's and Paparazzi are high quality eating establishments which serve to a higher class. In the middle of the picture there is a sculpture which adds decoration to make the mall more visually appealing. 

The second photo is an example of the type of stores at the Short Hills Mall. Maybe one of the most expensive stores in the mall, Louis Vuitton attracts the wealthiest people in society with attractive handbags. Other stores range from fine jewelry to antique furniture, and clothing stores with the hottest new fashions. The average person can't afford merchandise from these stores, so the mall discriminates against the middle and lower class.

To top it all off, there was a brand new Porsche for sale in the middle of the mall. (Third picture)

I'm sure that most clothe shopping at the Short Hills Mall is somewhat affordable for a high school student. But if you want anything other than clothes, the Short Hills Mall is probably too expensive. 


2 comments:

  1. Since the discussion in class I have definitely noticed the vast difference between this mall and other malls in NJ. The majority of the stores are all very recognizable labels and the clientele that the mall serves seems to be very exclusive. I think it is the fact that all of these famous and high end labels are all in one mall, one convenient spot, that makes this mall so famous and attractive (the occasional visit from a celebrity helps a bit too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never feel too comfortable in the Short Hills Mall. It is really an elitist place, which is why I prefer the Livingston Mall. I think it is too expensive so I definitely, like to shop elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete